Connecting better health and financial security
Health and finances have never been more connected. By modernizing health and financial technology and creating innovative solutions, we give people and organizations the confidence to make informed, cost-effective decisions. Leveraging data and analytics, we create game-changing solutions that drive more responsible consumer health care spending, reduce costs and manage cash flow for organizations so they can focus on what matters most – taking care of their people.
A full suite of health and lifestyle accounts
Optum Financial offers a full suite of high performing and flexible health accounts designed to help people make smarter financial decisions around their health care—the very decisions that affect other parts of their lives. Today, we help 8 million people* manage their accounts, and we continue to lead the industry forward with over $18 billion in assets* under management and growing.
Available to new business only. At this time, this connection is not applicable to existing Optum Financial clients.
- Health savings accounts (HSAs) – More people select Optum Financial for HSAs than any other provider. Consumers can choose to manage their funds like a typical savings account or to invest them—all while getting the triple tax-advantage. Optum Financial offers three competitive investment options in partnership with industry-leading companies: mutual funds, digitally-managed investments, and self-directed brokerage accounts.
- Health care flexible spending accounts (FSAs) – The health care FSA reimburses the employee for eligible health care expenses for themselves and for eligible dependents. Eligible expenses include medical, dental, vision, hearing and prescription drug expenses. FSA funds can also be used to pay for copays, coinsurance and certain over-the-counter items.
- Dependent care flexible spending account – The dependent care FSA can help employees put aside dollars, income tax-free, for the care of children under 13 or for dependent adults who can’t care for themselves.
- Lifestyle accounts – Unique to Optum Financial, these accounts provide a range of benefits beyond health care and can cover expenses for activities like fitness, healthy food incentives and childcare. They also help employers attract, retain, and support talent, and enable them to offer benefits to those who may not be eligible for traditional benefits (e.g., like part-time staff).
- Qualified transportation accounts (QTAs) – QTAs allow employees to set aside pre-tax funds used for eligible transit and parking expenses related to commute to work. And if the participant already has a Optum payment card for other accounts, such as FSA, or HSA, the commuter benefits account(s) can be stacked on the same card.
- COBRA administration – Optum Financial combines in-depth knowledge of federal and state continuation laws with unique administration capabilities to create a premier COBRA solution.
- HSA on Demand® – HSA on Demand is a unique Optum Financial solutions that allows employees to access their full year’s contribution — including employee and employer elections –at any time if the year to pay for a medical expense. It is not a loan or line of credit but an acceleration of future contributions.
When employers choose Optum Financial they get more than a health or lifestyle account—they also gain access to a wealth of expertise and insight into how they and their employees can get the most out of their experience. To learn more, visit optum.com/financial.html.
*Stats as of September 1, 2021 including combined Optum Bank and ConnectYourCare assets and accounts.
- Insights and education
- 5 Stages Pathways white paper
- Is financially preparing for a chronic condition possible?
- The 5 Stages of Health Saving and Spending and the Health Finance Journey modelTM
- Top 5 emerging employer developments due to the coronavirus pandemic
About Ease and Optum Financial
Ease and Optum Financial have made it easier for brokers to provide their clients with a wide range of health accounts to achieve short- and long-term health and financial goals along with innovative products and services that create better health care financial experiences.
Ultimately, the relationship allows brokers to help their clients better navigate the financial side of health.
About Optum Financial
As the only financial institution owned by a health care company, Optum Financial transforms how employers and employees save, spend, invest and pay for health care. Our proprietary Health Finance JourneyTM model and the 5 Stages of Health Saving and Spending guide employees in saving for health care and retirement. Best-in-class educational materials along with marketing expertise drive engaging communications designed to help employees maximize their benefits and advance along the 5 Stages continuum. With intuitive digital experiences and innovative technology, our health and lifestyle accounts are straightforward to use, giving members the confidence they need to make better health decisions.
How we help brokers and consultants: